Today’s easy recipe is for mouth-watering Moin Moin. Made with cow peas/black eye peas blended and steamed, traditionally in banana leaves. We love making this protein packed dish as a satisfying and filling meal.
Order your authentic ingredients to make Moin Moin here ▶️
225g Cowpeas (black eyed beans)
28ml Palm Oil (warmed)
1 Onion (ground)
35g of African Plate Crayfish
1 teaspoon Salt
1 teaspoon of African Plate Cameroon Pepper
- Soak the cowpeas in a bowl with plenty of water for 10 minutes.
- Drain the water and rub handfuls of the beans firmly between the palms of your hands several times in quick succession.
- Fill the bowl with water, swirl the beans and pour off the floating hulls.
- Repeat the rubbing and draining process several times until all the cowpeas are hulled (this should take about 5 minutes).
- Transfer the cowpeas to a blender and blend into a smooth paste.
- Blend in all the other ingredients (except 2 eggs).
- Transfer the blended mix into a bowl.
- Add hot water slowly until the mixture coats the back of a spoon (a thick running consistency).
- Whisk the paste well. As a guide, if using a wire whisk then 5 minutes whipping is required. Less with a handheld electric mixer.
- Use a ladle to scoop the mixture into greased moulds (tins can be used) or folded banana leaves, which should be no more than three quarters full. At this stage you can add whole ingredients of your choice (e.g. Eggs, sardine, mackerel). If using tins/moulds then cover loosely with tin foil or greaseproof paper should be tied over the top.
- Steam the packages, tightly covered, for 60 minutes.
- Serve with a rice dish and protein of your choice.