🌟NEW PRODUCT ALERT 🌟
We are extremely excited to announce that yet another new product has been added to our line up – dried periwinkles. After extensive searching to find the best quality, we have ethically sourced directly from Rivers State, Nigeria.
It would normally be really difficult to access periwinkles as they are highly perishable. With this dried version, you simply soak them in water for 30 minutes and VOILA! They spring back to life. Have you cooked with them?
This shellfish is a staple of West African kitchens adding an unmistakable depth of flavour to traditional soups and pottages as well as boasting added health benefits including nutrients that improve brain health and blood circulation.
At African Plate we’re committed to making it easy for you to get your hands on the finest, authentic West African ingredients. We deliver throughout the UK and EU.
Get your dried periwinkles here ➡️
If you are stuck for ideas as to what to cook with them, please find one of our suggestions below. This yam pottage will have you licking your lips and begging for more.
1 Firm ripe plantain
100ml Palm oil
2 Bell peppers
2 scotch bonnet
1 teaspoon salt
40g African Plate Crayfish (ground)
50g African Plate Dried Periwinkle (soaked for 30 minutes)
Sweet potato or squash can be substituted for the yam.
- Peel and cut the yam into large chunks.
- Cover with water, adding salt and palm oil and bring to the boil.
- Blend the remaining ingredients (excluding the periwinkle and spinach).
- Add the blended mixture and the periwinkles to the yam and cook for 15 minutes.
- Add the spinach and allow to wilt.
- Stir with a wooden spoon so that some of the yam disintegrates into the soup.
- Cool partially before serving to allow the flavours to mix.
- Serve with roasted or fried fish.